Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kitchen Valentines



I have one wall in my kitchen I use for various dishes, or vintage kitchen items

 The shelf that these items sit on is an old barn board from the 
yard at my father's cabin up north, I left it weathered and unpainted,
so I made a muslin cover for it when I want to use white, 
 Vintage cookie cutters and ironstone dishes,
One of my grandmothers jello molds, 
A new pitcher with a vintage plastic or maybe celluloid fan, extra large 
cinnamon sticks, and floral picks with hearts on them, 
 A small vintage rolling pin, my children used and now my grandchildren love 
to use for playdoe, an old tin I use to pack up the Valentine cookie cutters, 

New tin heart, a piece of Gingerbread from the original porch of my house,
and, the vintage wallpaper border roll,
I have had this 3 foot roll, rolled up for 30 years,
I decided to unroll it and use as a banner, even though it is not a Valentine scene,
I still love the red!

 These old "ice tongs" used to lift the block of ice in the old icebox,
works well as a paper towel holder,
I have been switching it out every holiday with various linens, towels of the season,
These are vintage Valentine Hankies, 


An old potato ricer, put confetti Valentines in these little jelly jars, 
I have to tell you how I unrolled the wallpaper border:
As you can imagine it was rolled tight and somewhat brittle.
Before I opened it up I set it in a dish of lukewarm water for a few minutes,
then carefully unrolled it onto a kitchen towel,  I padded it down as it dried, 
I made sure it was laying down in the opposite direction that it wanted to roll,
It dried unrolled, it did want to curl a little bit, but not too bad,
I could still press it with some books before I put it away,  
As all of us bloggers do, we save
 "eeeeeeee........vvvvvv.....eeeeee.....rrrrr.........yyyyyyy.......thing"
Right?
I have decided this year I will start using.
Wish me luck with that!!!
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Marilou said...

A very fun kitchen wall you have! I love the idea of using the ice tongs for a paper towel holder, perfect and great idea! I wish I had kitchen wall space, yours is so much fun! I have mostly windows and the wall space is taken up with appliances, guess you can't have it all, lol
Thanks for stoping by my blog, have a great creative week!
Hugs Marilou

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It looks pretty!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love your Valentine Kitchen!! SO PRETTY!!

Hugs,
Deb